Now that fall has come, curling season is underway. The first two weekends of September have seen US-based teams play in events in Oakville, ON and Harbin, China. With no clear-cut way of evaluating who is “better” than whom (match-ups between American teams can be rare outside of US-based World Curling Tour events and rinks play vastly different schedules during the year), I got the idea that there should be some form of week-to-week ranking of the teams, one that doesn’t involve the biases of the WCT Order of Merit (hat tip to Twine Time for delving into some of those issues). My ranking is based on three criteria:
- Results of the events the teams play
- Results relative to those of other US teams (either in the same event or across events)
- Results against other US teams when they DO play one another
Who you play doesn’t really matter, field strength doesn’t matter a lot, nor how much you play (some teams can play double-digit events in a season, others with less financial backing can’t afford to do that). What matters is how you do when you play (in general, in relation to the other US rinks, and head-to-head against US teams). That said, this is my ranking after the first two full weeks of action, with a list of results from the events they played.
- Heath McCormick – Runner-up at the season-opening OCT Fall Classic (6-1), win over Craig Brown in pool play; third at the Harbin International (6-3).
- Brady Clark – Semifinalist at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard Tier II event (4-2), win over Pete Fenson in pool play; missed playoffs at the OCT Fall Classic.
- Craig Brown – Made playoffs at the OCT Fall Classic (3-2).
- John Shuster – Missed playoffs at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard.
- Todd Birr – Missed playoffs at the OCT Fall Classic.
- Pete Fenson – Missed playoffs at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard Tier II event.
- Jamie Sinclair – Semifinalist at the OCT Fall Classic (4-2), win over Nina Roth in pool play; missed playoffs at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard.
- Nina Roth – Semifinalist at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard (5-3); missed playoffs at the OCT Fall Classic.
- Jessica Schultz – Missed playoffs at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard, win over Cory Christensen in A-bracket play.
- Cory Christensen – Missed playoffs at the OCT Fall Classic; missed playoffs at the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard.
Agree? Disagree? Let me hear it, either here or on Twitter.