Every day in the sports world, story lines of good, bad, and ugly make their way into the news stream. The following are just a couple from yesterday, with links and questions. I will try to expound on them and give my opinions as the day goes on.
- Club basketball team “suspended”: Did the RAYBA girls’ high school-aged team unknowingly violate the NWSSHL charter in its make-up (if not in letter than in spirit) and should they continue to be able to play in the league as currently constructed?
- Sydney Leroux to miss 2016 due to pregnancy: Should the player be required to disclose this fact to her future employer (if known) ahead of signing on, and what should be management’s recourse if said information comes to light within a certain time frame after contracts are signed (Leroux is the third USWNT player since the start of WPS in 2009 to pull out of their initial season with a club just days after being traded or allocated to that organization)?
- http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/14648431/sydney-leroux-pregnant-miss-2016-olympics-rio-de-janeiro (traded to FC Kansas City earlier this month)
- http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2009/01/red-stars-defen.html (allocated to Chicago in September 2008)
- http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/amy-rodriguez-pregnant/ (allocated to Seattle earlier in January 2013)